The Tuition Protection Service (TPS) is an initiative of the Australian Government to assist international students and eligible domestic students accessing a VET Student Loan (VSL), whose education providers are unable to fully deliver their course of study. The TPS ensures that these students are able to either:
- complete their studies in another course or with another education provider or
- receive a refund of their unspent tuition fees (international students)
- or a re-credit of their loan for open units of study (VSL).
In the unlikely event, that AOMI ceases to provide a course after it starts but before it is completed, there are arrangements in place to ensure a replacement course is identified and the student is placed with a suitable provider.
Learners who access VET Student Loans
Australian Online Music Institute [AOMI] is a part of the VSL Tuition Protection arrangements set out in the VET Student Loans Act 2016 and VET Student Loans Rules 2016.
This protects you in the event that we cease to provide a course of study that you are enrolled in. If this were to occur, you would have two options:
- An offer of a place in a similar VET course with another provider without the requirement to pay the other provider any tuition fee for any replacement units of study. This is known as the ‘VET Course Assurance Option’ OR
- A refund of your upfront tuition fees for any unit of study that you commence but do not complete because we ceased to provide the course that the unit of study was part of. This is known as the ‘VET Tuition Fee Repayment Option’.
- AOMI will provide the student with at least 28 days to initiate grievance procedures before cancellation takes final effect. Once grievance procedures initiated by the student have been completed, then the cancellation will take final effect.
Learners who do not access VET Student Loans
From 1 January 2021, students who pay their fees directly to their provider will be eligible to access tuition protection assistance.
Domestic up-front fee-paying students studying with private education providers are eligible for tuition protection assistance if the course has not commenced, or ceases after commencement but before completion, and the student has not previously withdrawn.
If you are a domestic up-front fee-paying student who is unable to complete your course due to your higher education provider defaulting (ceasing to commence or deliver your course or closing entirely), you will be assisted under tuition protection arrangements.
In the unlikely event that AOMI is unable to offer you the program of study of which you are enrolment in, then you will be given the choice of either:
- Assistance to move to another education provider who is delivering the same or a similar course. You can complete your studies at this new provider and not be charged for replacement units, OR
- A refund of the tuition fees for the units of study you had paid for and were unable to complete when your provider defaulted.
However, if AOMI fails to assist you, the Tuition Protection Service (TPS) will contact you directly. The TPS will offer you the option to either receive a refund of tuition fees for affected parts of the course, or assistance to move to a similar replacement course.
The TPS can be contacted at: email@example.com or phone 1300 980 434.
For further information on tuition assurance by TPS please visit https://tps.gov.au/